January arrived with ice in her veins. But around Acadiana things were sizzling hot as Mardi Gras festivities filled venues with serious revelers dressed to kill.
Friday, Feb. 1, 2013
January arrived with ice in her veins. But around Acadiana things were sizzling hot as Mardi Gras festivities filled venues with serious revelers dressed to kill. The entire season took off Jan. 5 with the ball of Krewe of Carnivale en Rio. With Janice LeBlanc at the helm as queen and her husband Marty serving as king, the ball at the Cajundome Convention Center was everything one could imagine of a fête honoring Brazil - feathers, glitter, a dazzling crowd and even more dazzling court.
The gents of Brigands took to the beach in style after a bevy of their lovely ladies warmed up for the ball at The Heymann Center. The tradition of ladies who wait lining the sidewalk in ball gowns sipping cocktails at their appointed tables proved the pre-party can be almost as fabulous as the main event.
And then there were the ever über fabulous fellas of Apollo who hosted a three-hour pageant for 2,500 attendees themed "Apollo's Lost Jungle." The pageant included mystical animals, Indiana Jones and lots of dancing in a fête fit for a king (and a convention center full of queens.)
1. Sara Milam and Hannah Vice
2. Daryl and Anne Doise
3. Chelsea Rowe, Danielle Pitre and Brooke Nele
4. Victoria Toups and Blaine Ussery
5. Kirk and Shannon Lynd
6. Sasha Lecompte and Erica Lukasko
7. Karen and Russell Chalmers
8. Matt Gaspard and Catherine Goudeau
9. Amber Cain, Chrissy Ducote and Lauren Ducote
10. Danny Bonaventure, David Broussard, Michael Welch and Jim Shafer
11. Leah McGrath and Alton Courville
12. Argen West, Britney Meche and Elizabeth Toca
13. Ernesto Egoavil and Melody Weiss
14. Chris and Lauren Brouillette, and Dane and Kayl Rochon
15. Elizabeth Charlotte Koke
16. Merilyn Crain