Sept. 22, 2014 07:10 PM

More than 100 candidates either withdrew from their races or were disqualified since the mail ballots were printed following the August qualifying period.

 

The Louisiana Secretary of State's Office sent 112 mail ballots overseas last week so that members of the military, and citizens in foreign lands who have requested ballots, can vote in the November primary election. The recipients, however, may also find a bit of confusion in their envelopes.

More than 100 candidates either withdrew from their races or were disqualified since the mail ballots were printed following the August qualifying period.

"No one remembers this many withdraws ever happening," said SOS press secretary Meg Casper. "But this is also the largest election in terms of candidates and races on the ballot anyone can remember in the last 10 years."

Special notices had to be included with the mail ballots to let voters know which candidates are no longer running, despite being listed. The same kind of notices, although more visible, will be placed at polling precincts as well.

Still, it's not a perfect process. Casper said two or three more candidates have withdrawn from their races since the mail ballots and notices were sent last week.  

Could this create problems?

"It certainly could," Casper said. "Any votes cast for someone no longer running are just not going to be counted."

Voters are being asked to review their local ballots on the SOS website, which is updated in real time.