Discordia Culture Shop owner gives us his Top 5 do's and don'ts of owning and operating a small business.
TOP 5 Small Business Do's and Don'ts
with Gavriel Morningstar
(owner of Discordia Culture Shop)
1. Quit your day Job. Desperation is your friend. It keeps your hustle tight.
2. Read. Get a copy of Small Time Operator: How to Start Your Own Business, Keep Your Books, Pay Your Taxes, and Stay Out of Trouble! by Bernard Kamoroff, C.P.A.
3. Be the Hydra. Doing one thing is boring, help kittens find homes, support causes, get on Etsy.com.
4. Evolve. Constantly revise your offerings, once everyone buys something the market is flooded, move on.
5. Keep it real. Be Human, people hate robots.
1. Don't spend any money. After start-up, if your business doesn't support itself let it die quietly.
2. Don't get lazy. Taking days off is not cool. You will work 24/7. Its not a job, it is your Livelihood.
3. Don't be afraid to be different. If your town already has 20 cafes don't open another one. Set new trends or go home.
4. Don't hire your friends. Don't hire anyone. If they want to be Co-Op partners who have investments of their own that's different.
5. Don't be evil. Really, just don't.
Discordia Culture Shop
"Smart Not Evil"
205 1/2 Stewart St. Freetown Lafayette
on: Myspace and Facebook